Japan vs USMNT
September 23, 2022
Düsseldorf Arena, Düsseldorf, Germany
Pregame coverage: 8 a.m. ET on ESPN2, ESPN+; 8:20 a.m. ET on UniMas, TUDN
Departure: 8:26 I’m on ESPN2, ESPN+, UniMas, TUDN
Social Media: @USMNT is on Twitter And Instagram; American football is on. Facebook American football app
Today’s USMNT Starting XI vs Japan: 1-Matt Turner, 2-Sergino Dest, 3-Walker Zimmerman (Captain), 4-Tyler Adams, 5-Aaron Long, 6-Sam Vince, 8-Weston McKenney, 9- Jesus Ferreira, 11- Brendon Aaronson, 14- Luca de la Torre, 21-Gio Reyna
Substitutes: 18-Ethan Horvath, 25-Sean Johnson, 7-Paul Ariola, 12-Eric Palmer-Brown, 13-Jordan Morris, 15-Johnny Cardoso, 16- Mark McKenzie, 17-Malik Tillman, 19-Ricardo Pepe – Reggie Cannon, 22-DeAndre Yedlin, 23-Kellyn Acosta, 24-Josh Sargent, 26-Joe Scally.
- USMNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Weston McKenney (36), Walker Zimmerman (32), Tyler Adams (31), Aaron Long (28), Brendan Aaronson (23), Matt Turner (19), Sergino Dest ( 18), Jesus Ferreira (14), Gio Reyna (13), Luca de la Torre (12), Sam Vince (9)
- Today’s starting XI has an average age of 24 years and 143 days and average number is 20.
- Forward Gio Reyna made his first international start in over a year and made his last appearance in a 0-0 draw with El Salvador to open the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifiers on 2 September 2021. His father, Claudio, wore the number a total of 42 times for the USMNT, including at the 1998 FIFA World Cup.
- Defender Sam Vines made his USMNT debut after the CONCACAF Gold Cup final against Mexico on August 1, 2021, and earned his first start after the semi-final against Qatar on July 29, 2021. Thanks for showing up at this year’s World Cup hosts. Vince is the only USMNT starter to play against the Asian Football Confederation.
- After missing the March and June international windows, defender Sergino Dest made his first appearance since the January 30 World Cup qualifier in Canada.
- Walker Zimmerman leads the team for the sixth time today.
- Tyler Adams, Luca De La Torre and Weston McKenney will start together in midfield for the first time today.
- The forward line of Brendan Aaronson, Jesus Ferreira and Gio Reyna will also start together for the first time today.
- Jesus Ferreira leads all USMNT players with five goals in eight games in 2022.
- Aaron Long and Walker Zimmerman partnered for 10 in central defenseTh time. The USMNT is 7-1-1 with the veteran duo paired on the backline.
- Three rookies have represented clubs here in Germany. Gio Reina has played for Borussia Dortmund since 2019, Weston McKennie has played for Schalke from 2017-2020 and Tyler Adams has represented RB Leipzig from 2019-2022.
- Midfielder Kelly Acosta will appear in the country where his father and grandfather were born if he is to enter tonight’s game.
- Christian Pulisic has been ruled out of today’s squad after picking up a knock in training earlier this week. His availability to play Saudi Arabia in Murcia, Spain on September 27 will be assessed on a day-to-day basis.
- The USMNT will field 25 players while Japan will field 26 for today’s game. Six substitutions are allowed at three separate times. Half time does not count as substitution time.
- The USMNT is 1-1-0 all-time against Japan. of Samurai blue They won the first meeting, 3-1 in Tokyo on 14 March 1993. USA won the last meeting 3-2 on February 10, 2006 in San Francisco.
- The USMNT is 36-9-9 in 54 games under Gregg Berhalter.
- Today’s game is the team’s third neutral game under Brihanter. In the year On November 16, 2020, the USA beat Panama 6-2 and on March 25, 2021, they beat Jamaica 4-1. Both games were played in Wiener Neustadt, Austria.
- Germany’s Felix Zweier is the referee for tonight’s game. This is the first time he has led a USMNT match.