A Missouri man who was infected with a brain-eating amoeba while swimming in an Iowa lake has died, health officials said.

Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services It was reported on July 7 Confirmed Naegleria fowleri, a rare but often fatal infection.

The resident may have been exposed to the amoeba — normally found in warm waters such as lakes and rivers — while swimming at Three Volcanoes Lake in Taylor County, Iowa, health officials said.

Iowa Department of Health and Human Services It was announced on July 8 The beach is temporarily closed to swimming “as a precautionary measure for a confirmed Naegliria fowleri infection in a Missouri resident due to recent exposure while swimming at the beach.”

The Iowa Department of Health and Human Services is working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to test for the presence of Naegliria fowleri in the lake.

A Missouri patient was being treated in the intensive care unit for primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, a life-threatening brain infection caused by the amoeba, health officials said.

The patient died of the virus, according to the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services.

“The occurrence of Naegleria fowleri infection is extremely rare and, once infected, is often fatal,” Health Department spokeswoman Lisa Cox told ABC News on Saturday. “Because these cases are incredibly rare and out of respect for the family, we do not want to release any additional information about the patient that could lead to the person’s identity.”

In the year Of the 154 primary cases of amoebic meningoencephalitis reported in the US from 1962 to 2021, only four people survived. According to the CDC.

The infection was Missouri’s first case of primary amoebic meningoencephalitis since 1987. No additional suspected cases are being investigated in the state, the health department said.

“These conditions are very rare in the United States and especially in Missouri, but it is very important for people to know that the infection can occur so that if relevant symptoms appear, they can seek treatment in time,” said Missouri State Epidemiologist Dr. George Turabeliz, in a statement.

People can become infected with Naegleria fowleri by inhaling water containing the amoeba. It can then go to their brain and destroy brain tissue.

Symptoms of primary amoebic meningoencephalitis include severe headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, neck stiffness, and seizures.

People can try to reduce their risk of getting Naegliria fowleri by limiting the amount of water that comes into their noses in warm freshwater bodies and avoiding water recreation in warm freshwater during periods of high water temperatures.

In the year From 2012 to 2021, 31 infections were reported in the U.S., and most people contracted it from recreational water, according to the CDC.

In the near future A high-profile caseA 3-year-old boy died of primary amoebic meningoencephalitis in September 2021 after contracting Naegleria fowleri at a splash pad in Texas. City officials subsequently found deficiencies in water quality testing at several parks.

Infections with Naegleria fowleri occur primarily in the summer months and in southern states, although they can occur in northern states, the CDC said.

“Recreational water users should be aware that Naegleria fowleri is present in warm freshwater throughout the United States,” the CDC said, noting that infection is rare.

Professionals Climate change warning Waterborne pathogens such as Naegleria fowleri can multiply rapidly in increasingly warm water, potentially contributing to life-threatening hazards for swimmers.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.