London — Health officials are investigating. A deadly mysterious disease In southern Tanzania, more than ten people have been infected and at least three have died.

Tanzania’s Chief Medical Officer Dr. Ifelo Sichalwe, speaking from the capital Dodoma on Wednesday, urged the public to “remain calm”. Mbekenyara village in East Africa’s Lindi region has so far reported 13 cases of an unknown illness, with patients showing similar symptoms. Ebola or Marburg virus diseases — fever, headache, fatigue and bleeding, especially from the nose, Sichalwe said.

However, Sichalwe said preliminary results of laboratory tests ruled out Ebola and Marburg viruses in these cases. Covid-19.

The first patient was registered at Mbekenya Health Center on July 5, 2010 and within three days the hospital received a second case, Sichalwe said.

Photo: A Tanzanian hospital is seen in this time-lapsed stock photo.

A Tanzanian hospital is seen in this time-lapsed stock photo.

STOCK PHOTO/GETTY IMAGES

Out of the 13 patients, three died of the foreign disease, and the two who were isolated at Beknyara Health Center have recovered and returned home. Sichalwe said that five patients will be found separately.

Tanzania’s Ministry of Health sent a team of experts to the Lindi region to investigate the outbreak and take measures to prevent further spread of the unknown disease, such as conducting contact tracing, identifying people with similar symptoms and isolating them. Anyone who came into contact with a confirmed or suspected person is being monitored for 21 days, said Sichalwe, who advised anyone with similar symptoms to seek medical attention immediately.

Tanzania’s Ministry of Health did not immediately respond to ABC News’ request for comment or additional information.

“WHO teams in Tanzania are working closely with the Tanzanian Ministry of Health (MoH) team” to further investigate and monitor the outbreak, said Dr. Fiona Braca, head of the emergency response team at the WHO Regional Office for Africa. Close the situation.”

“Tanzania’s MOH issued a statement on Wednesday that they have done an initial assessment and all the tests so far have been negative for Ebola and Marburg,” Braca told ABC News on Friday. “The WHO and MOH teams are working on further testing to rule out other diseases, including sequencing samples. There is currently no new information on the cause of this disease.”

Photo: A health worker wearing protective gear examines an isolated patient in a plastic cube at an Ebola treatment center in Beni, Congo, July 13, 2019.

A health worker wearing protective gear examines a patient in a plastic cube at an Ebola treatment center in Beni, Congo, July 13, 2019.

Jerome Delay/AP, file

On Thursday, the World Health Organization warned that Africa is at increased risk of zoonotic pathogens originating from non-human animals and mutating into species and being transmitted to humans. In the year In the decade from 2012 to 2022, the number of zoonotic outbreaks increased by 63 percent, compared to 2001 to 2011, according to a new analysis published by the United Nations’ global health arm.

Between 2001 and 2022, 1,843 confirmed public health events were recorded in the WHO African Region, 30% of which were zoonotic disease outbreaks, the study found. These numbers have increased over the past two decades, with the World Health Organization seeing a remarkable increase in 2019 and 2020 where zoonotic pathogens represent 50% of public health events. Ebola virus disease and other viral hemorrhagic fevers account for about 70% of these outbreaks, while dengue fever, anthrax, plague, Monkey disease And many other diseases cover the remaining 30%, according to the analysis.

“Infections from animals and then jumping to humans have occurred for centuries, but mass infections and deaths have been relatively limited in Africa. Poor transport infrastructure has been a natural barrier,” said WHO Regional Director Dr Matshidiso Moeti. In a statement to Africa Thursday. “However, with improved transportation in Africa, the risk of zoonotic pathogens moving to large urban centers is increasing. We must act now to prevent zoonotic pathogens from causing widespread infection and Africa becoming a hotbed for emerging infectious diseases.”

The World Health Organization has warned that the zoonotic disease could cause severe cases and deaths when it enters cities, as the 2014-2016 Ebola outbreak — the largest and deadliest disease on record — affected many West African countries.

“We need all hands together to prevent and control zoonotic diseases like Ebola, monkeypox and others. Corona virusesMoeti added: ‚ÄúZonotic diseases are caused by animal-to-human transmission events. Only when we break down the walls between disciplines can we deal with all aspects of the response.”



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.